Ebates Coupons and Cash Back My 1905 Kansas Victorian: The "Home Theater"

Saturday, April 07, 2007

The "Home Theater"

Doug started working on the "home theater" (and yes, we always do air quotes when we say those words.) I don't remember what I have posted so here is the room as it was when we moved in. This is the middle upstairs bedroom.



Note the 1970's paneling which has been badly painted and the ugly, unraveling carpet. You can't see in this picture that the ceiling is one of those drop, metal-grid, cardboard tile ceilings. It was quite an ugly room. Just as a reminder, it has double french-doors into Rachel's room, a door into our bedroom, a closet, and three windows besides the door into the hall. Big room but not a lot of free wallspace.



The first step in the redemption of this room was to remove the drop ceiling. It looked like this.



Of course, this is Doug on a ladder taking down the metal grid. It was run to hide all the electrical wires. Note that the paneling didn't go all the way to the ceiling, it was just high enough to be past the metal grid. The paint on the paneling didn't even go that high. Above the paneling you see the original plaster and wallpaper. It seems like I've shown that before but I don't remember. Anyway, most of the ceiling was in good shape. Now we just have electrical wires hanging everywhere.


The next step in our "home theater" journey was to remove the paneling.


It had a brownish/pinkish patterned wallpaper that I could easily see in the hotel of "The Andy Griffith Show". That's what it felt like when we had all the paneling down, like being in an old 1950's hotel and I didn't hate it. Of course, it's coming down but I didn't hate it.

In my next post I'll show you some of the things we saw when all the paneling came down.

2 comments:

Marye said...

so..inquiring minds want to know..what did you see? :)
Hey..I am hosting a restoration blog challenge of sorts..if you are interested. post before and after pictures of your best/favorite/most intese project before next thursday...
check it out at frozen music...
http://frozen-music.blogspot.com/

cheap kitchens said...

I've also Big room but not a lot of free wall space in that. I m thinking to add Home theater in that room because we mostly spend time in this room and Home theater is consuming the space.

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back